Mending a Broken Nail | Tea Bag Patch

A couple weeks ago I mentioned that I had broken a nail and a few of you wanted to see a tutorial. Usually my nails are strong, but I made the huge mistake of buffing them a little bit too much. I had this idea that the smoother they are, the easier it would be to paint them. However, this weakened my nails very badly. Heed my warning (and the warnings of basically everyone on the internet)! Not a good idea, no matter how strong you think your natural nails are.
I was frantic thinking of ways to keep my poor nail intact (at the moment I was using a band-aid to keep in from getting worse) when I remembered the tea bag patch method! I've tried this method before, but I got very different results. If I remember correctly, the first time I tried it, I used nail glue. It was pretty bad. However, there are countless articles and blog posts on the Internet if you do a quick Google search. This time around nail glue was not suggested and the results were superb. 


The method is relatively simple. Here's what you'll need.

- tea bag (any brand will do as long as the bag is cloth)
- regular nail file
- fine grit nail file
- base coat
- nail polish
- top coat



You want to start off with clean, bare nails. Take off any old nail polish, wash your hands, and pat them dry. It's always best to start off any manicure like this, ensuring any old polish and oils are completely taken off so as to not interfere with the new mani. 



I've depicted the break in my nail with a black line. It has grown out quite a bit since I originally broke it two weeks ago, but its still pretty bad. This method will fortify your nail in order for you to grow out the break to a suitable length. You will have to repeat all these steps whenever you change out your mani. However, the more comfortable you get with the process, the easier!



Prepping the Patch

Once you're ready to begin, cut off the top of your tea bag and dump out the contents. You won't be needing them for this project. I then like to split it down the center. It'll either do this on its own, or you'll have to use your scissors. And then unfold the tea bag so that it is completely flat. 

Cut off a small piece that will cover your nail. You want it to be long enough to cover at least half of your nail. It doesn't need to go all the way up to the cuticle, depending on where your break is. For me and this particular break, I like to have the patch start half way up my nail.



Applying the Patch

Next step is to apply the patch. You'll want to start off by applying a thin layer of your favorite base coat. I personally love to use OPI Nail Envy. Despite my buffing catastrophe, my nails are pretty strong and never peel or flake and I give all the credit to this base coat. I've been using it for years now and I recommend it to anyone and everyone.

While still tacky, apply the patch to the nail. I like to use a tweezer to make it a bit easier to lay it down, but it's optional. Again, for this break, I like to position it half way up the nail. Flatten down all the edges and try to get it to lay as smooth as possible. If your nails are very curved like mine, it might be a bit harder. You just have to mess with it a little bit. 



Depending on how long you cut your patch originally, you might have some over-hang. You can cut this off if you'd like. I think it makes it a bit easier going forward.



Filing & Buffing the Patch

After you've applied your patch, you'll want to add another layer of base coat. This really seals and smooths down the patch. It also gives you another layer to work with when the (light and gentle) buffing begins. You'll want this layer to dry completely before moving on to the next steps.

Once its dry, its safe to start the filing and buffing. Lightly file off the edge of your nail in order to get the extra bit of your patch off. It won't take much effort as it will most likely just fall right off once you give it the right amount of pressure. Then you'll have a nice and neat free edge.



Next step is to buff. Please, please, please use you very fine grit buffing block or file. This isn't meant to go down to the natural nail. We just want a smooth surface. Lightly buff the edge of the patch that is on the nail bed and try your best to blend it in with your natural nail. Remember, we have two coats of base on there that will help protect your nail. Also take this time to smooth over any crumpled bits of patch that may not have laid down perfectly. The end result is one where there are no lumps or bumps or air bubbles.



With the buffing over and done with, most of the base coat will have been buffed away. Since we're going to paint our nails after this, to conceal the patch of course, add a layer of base coat to all of your nails, including the patched one.



And there's your first patch! Although there are quite a few steps to follow, the concept isn't hard. And its quite a useful method to have in your arsenal. I, for one, am extremely happy I was able to do this right. I was mortified with my break. I knew it would've hurt like hell and I wouldn't have been able to paint my nails and post them up for you guys for quite a while. An added bonus: I tend to bite my nails down when one of them breaks. So this saved me from munching down on all of them!



The last step is to paint them. I used:

- China Glaze Re-fresh Mint
- Essie Mint Candy Apple (blue formula)
- OPI I Cannoli Wear OPI
- Essie Excuse Me, Sur

And they're all topped off with Glisten & Glow HK Girl top coat.

I hope you guys found this tutorial useful! Let me know what you want to see next. Happy Sunday!!

XOXO 

Jessica

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live Love Polish || Swatches

Favorite Bloggers

Current Reads